Been There, Done That, and Now, All the Wiser
We have it or have access to it. Now what?
There are two nontrivial undertakings that require time and effort for these products to be successfully deployed:
- The libraries' preparation for migration
- Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro's setup
Don't expect first pass success when setting up Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro without knowing its intricacies. The following aspects must be considered before a single file is migrated, managed, or created:
(For convenience, we have abbreviated Concord Pro / Altium 365 as CP / A365)
- Design Item IDs - These are the unique names provided to each file entered into CP/A365. They cannot be changed once established.
- Directory Types - Directories are established for each type of file. Each directory addresses the intended files in its own unique way.
- Component Templates - Allows components to be created based on existing criteria.
- Life Cycle Management - Establishes the status of a given file. Different life cycles can be configured for different file types.
- Revision Control - Documents can be traced through their changes. Like any control system, all changes must be documented.
- User Permissions - This establishes who gets to add, delete, and modify files and directory structures.
- Available on Concord Pro and Altium 365 Pro
CP/A365 tightly integrates all of these factors. As a result, decisions made initially can rapidly become regrets as one progresses through Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro's setup. Given what needs to be done during the setup, it could be hours or days before one of these decisions comes back to haunt. Worse still is that many of these decisions cannot be changed once established. As a result, most setups are scrapped and restarted from Altium's default.
The migration of libraries is where the regrets tend to manifest rapidly. Libraries must be in pristine condition for migration.
As we discussed in our November 2019 webinar regarding Library Scrubbing (click to watch
), the data collected from our team members indicates that a 1000 component library would take 10.5 work weeks (at 40 hours/week) to clean up. And we haven't even touched Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro!
Nine Dot Connects has performed numerous library clean-up operations. Please see our web pages regarding this service.
Beyond pristine libraries, there are false notions about what Concord Pro can provide during migration:
- Concord Pro and Altium 365 Pro do not have the ability to clean up or improve a library component. It treats every component as a WYSIWYG. (What you see is what you get)
- If the models are inconsistent, they will be imported as such.
- If the parameter values are missing, they will not magically be filled in.
- If the parameter names are different between components, Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro will not reconcile the parameters to a common name.
- If the value type (i.e., string, resistance, voltage, temperature, etc.) of the parameter is not set properly, Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro will not guess its proper type.
And if something was missed during migration, like datasheets; you guessed it, it is not going to be added. It's best to wipe it and start again. Hopefully, you were wise enough to seek the OS command prompts to back up and restore the data so that you do not have to start from the very beginning again...
Though we encourage you to consider our Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro training program, we also understand that your time is valuable. You purchased Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro to be efficient, and this efficiency is only achieved once the setup is complete. The irony of any setup is that it is really a one-time proposition. Thereafter, one makes use of the setup by maintaining it. It's now a matter of building upon what has already been established.
If you want to make use of this investment and want to get it set up with as little hassle as possible, contact us here at Nine Dot Connects.
Or, if you prefer to learn the intricacies of Concord Pro or Altium 365 Pro yourself and set up necessary configurations and templates, we offer comprehensive consultation and training that includes up to 16 hours of remote consultation and 2 days of onsite coaching and deployment entire team.
Concord Pro Training